Winter Crafts Ideas
Winter Crafts Ideas
Brothers Charles Sumner Greene (1868-1957) and Henry Mather Greene (1870-1954) are best known for their architectural firm Greene and Greene, which was responsible for the construction of the last bungalow, Gamble House in Pasadena. Their work is characterized by outsourced construction and the extraordinary aesthetic complexity that this type of building creates.
The Greene brothers were born in Brighton, Ohio, but grew up on their family farm in West Virginia. They began learning carpentry and metalworking as teenagers at the Washington University School of Manual Arts in St. Louis, MO. Later, in 1891, they completed a two-year program at the MIT School of Architecture, where they studied classical building styles. After completing their studies, both brothers continued to teach, primarily in Boston, Massachusetts; Charles Greene went on to teach at architectural firms such as Andrews, Jacques and Rantoul, and R. Clipston Sturgis. Henry Greene worked with Herbert Langford Warren and Winslow & Wetherell.
They finally headed to Pasadena, California, to visit their parents, who had been living there for a year. On the train ride from Boston, they encountered Japanese architecture during a stop at the Colombian World’s Fair in Chicago. However, the Japanese influence did not become established until a few years later, in 1904, after visiting another exhibition in St. Louis, MO. Another influence on his work was his father, who, as a homeopathic physician, taught him the importance of sunlight and the circulation of fresh air. The Greene brothers recognized the importance of these elements and integrated them into their work.
Greene and Greene’s architectural firm was founded in January 1894 in Pasadena, California, which led to the construction of their most important work, the Casa de la Apuesta, which was built between 1908 and 1909. The former winter home of businessman David B. Gamble is now a national historic monument and museum in Pasadena, California.
Gamble House is a three-story masterpiece of craftsmanship that pays tribute to Japanese influences and the California lifestyle. Teak, maple, oak, and mahogany woods are spread throughout the house to enhance contrasts in color, tone, and grain. The marquetry of the furniture matches the marquetry found throughout the house; this type of adaptation was also a feature of Greene and Greene’s construction. The lamps, furniture, and fabrics were designed to fit into a particular room in the house.
The construction of the house has asymmetrical shapes and scales, with ceilings of different heights, semi-enclosed awnings on the second floor, and free-form terraces. The main terrace contains a large koi pond, clinker brick walls (with dark purple volcanic textures), and stream stone pathways.
After the death of David and Mary Gamble, the house was passed down to the younger generation and was almost for sale until the Gamble family transferred it to the city of Pasadena in 1966 under an agreement with the University of Southern California School of Architecture. In 1977 it was declared a National Historic Monument.
Today, the Playhouse receives 30,000 visitors from around the world each year, and several vendors offer reproductions of Greene & Greene style furniture and decorations.